Saturday, July 30, 2022

I Didn't Knit A Stitch

     I had a chance to hitch a ride to Joplin recently. Of course I took my knitting with me, but it never came out of the bag. And on our way back home, I acquired one more thing to take care of. I'm supposed to be downsizing, not upsizing.


    It's a coffee mug with a wrap-around photo of Old Riverton Store, a store that has been operating since the beginning of the Mother Road, U.S. Highway 66. There are only some thirteen miles of the historic route that go through Kansas, but it's to the credit of Kansas, those thirteen miles were among the first finished. It runs from Galena on the eastern end, to Baxter Springs, the western terminus. Riverton is about midway.

    There is nothing on the bottom of the mug to indicate where it was made; I would not have been surprised to see the ubiquitous 'Made in China' where so many of our souvenirs are manufactured.

    At the refrigerated display case we ordered a sandwich. Usually I order liverwurst (which causes any companion to shudder) and the strongest cheese available. This time I ordered ham, made by a famous Emporia company. Not to lose time, we took our sandwiches with us. We could have lingered, however, perched at a table on the patio, and watched the world roll by. Could even have taken my knitting out of the bag.

No comments: