Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Only one false start

So far, so good. I made only one false start on the City of Fountains Scarf. My late aunt who was my knitting mentor always admonished me to count . . . count . . . count. How could I have forgotten that sage advice?

After I established the accurate number of cast on stitches, everything was hunky-dory. Well, almost. It seems the edging is sort of a mock I-Cord, and the instructions for the two sides are different for the stitches in between. There are four pages of instructions. Count them, FOUR pages of instructions. I'll swear I read somewhere that the stitch that gets slipped to make the mock I-Cord is slipped purlwise. Now, there's an intriguing word . . . purl. Not pearl. But I digress. Ah, yes, here it is in ALL CAPS. No wonder I missed it. SLIP ALL STITCHES ARE IF TO PURL.

(Didn't I have at one time a writing coach who told me to always avoid AS IF?)

I'm so proud of myself for getting to about three inches with only one false start. What could possibly go wrong?

No comments: