Friday, December 15, 2023

WHERE CREATIVITY LIVES

        Much as I hate to admit, because I have forgotten a great deal of what I once knew, I taught Spanish. I had some great students, whom I desperately loved, and some not-so-great students whose presence in a classroom was a continuing challenge.

        Morty was one of the worst, did everything he could do to be disruptive. I decided that one day we would take a break and spend classroom time making what Hispanics call "God's Eyes", those colorful symbols made of two crossed sticks and bright yarns. I had painstakingly gathered from my yard sturdy twigs; I had plenty of yarn stash for the projects.

        While two students distributed the materials I explained the project, my eye constantly glimpsing at Morty. What inventive way would he find the disrupt the classroom?

        Amazingly, quiet prevailed. Inspired by the assignment, every student was totally absorbed in creating their God's Eye. Especially Morty. I found it hard to believe the concentration he brought to the task. His eyes, normally scanning the room for what mayhem he could cause, never left the twigs and bright yarns on his desk. And when the class period came to an end, no one was prouder than Morty of what he had created with his own two hands.

No comments: